raccolta di citazioni

a commonplace for quotes from my current reading

2006-09-03

Life, the Universe and Everything

There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches? [166]

"Seven and a half million years our race has waited for this Great and Hopefully Enlightening Day!" cried the cheerleader. "The Day of the Answer!"
[...]
"Never again," cried the man, "never again will we wake up in the morning and think Who am I? What is my purpose in life? Does it really, cosmically speaking, matter if I don't get up and go to work? For today we will finally learn once and for all the plain and simple answer to all these nagging little problems of Life, the Universe and Everything!" [176-177]

"You know," said Arthur thoughtfully, "all this explains a lot of things. All through my life I've had this strange unaccountable feeling that something was going on in the world, something big, even sinister, and no one would tell me what it was."

"No," said the old man, "that's just perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the Universe has that." [191]

Adams, Douglas. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Harmony Books, 2004. ISBN: 1400052920.

5 Comments:

At 4/9/06 07:36, Blogger SFP said...

42.

 
At 4/9/06 09:31, Blogger JohnM said...

Now I can see where your daughter gets her smarts from. :)

 
At 4/9/06 16:22, Blogger SFP said...

Hmmm, my post from this morning seems to have vanished without a trace. . .

My daughter is very much convinced she's a hybrid vigor.

 
At 7/9/06 14:20, Blogger Stefanie said...

Have you seen the 42 shirt at ThinkGeek? I am always so tempted to buy it but have not taken the plunge because there are a bunch of others that are equally as good. As a result I own none of them.

 
At 7/9/06 14:36, Blogger JohnM said...

That's pretty funny! I haven't looked at their site in a long time. I got some Linux fish there, but that was a while back.

I'm just glad I finally read this (under duress, but still...). Now I know where so many references come from that I hear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home