raccolta di citazioni

a commonplace for quotes from my current reading

2006-08-23

Daring to leap into transcendence

No one ever told us we had to study our lives,
make of our lives a study, as if learning natural history
or music, that we should begin
with the simple exercises first
and slowly go on trying
the hard ones, practicing till strength
and accuracy became one with the daring
to leap into transcendence, take the chance
of breaking down in the wild arpeggio
or faulting the full sentence of the fugue. [73]

from 'Transcendental Etude' (1977)

Rich, Adrienne. The Dream of a Common Language: Poems, 1974-1977. W.W. Norton, 1978. ISBN: 0393045021.

3 Comments:

At 24/8/06 17:30, Blogger Stefanie said...

Ah, you've gotten to my favorite poem! It played a central role in my Master's thesis :)

 
At 25/8/06 00:15, Blogger JohnM said...

I think that was probably my favorite in this collection, too. I'm assuming that the title comes from Liszt, who apparently got the idea from a Victor Hugo poem.

Thanks for recommending it!

 
At 25/8/06 18:24, Blogger Stefanie said...

I am pretty sure you are right, my memory is a bit fuzzy today. I am glad you enjoyed it. I always like it when recommendations turn out well :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home