raccolta di citazioni

a commonplace for quotes from my current reading

2006-08-10

Our Nation's Bounty

Our Nation's Bounty has a barn façade and a few real tractors and a stuffed farmer, but they've located it next to Riches from the Bowels of the Earth and in my opinion cows aren't stupid. What I mean to say is, certainly they are stupid, but they have sound enough instincts to know that a functioning scaled-down coal mine with collegiate tour guides in hard hats is not part of any farm.

The cow looks up at me kindly as I come in.

I kneel down and pretend to Windex her panel. Inside there's plenty of activity. The idea was to provide schoolchildren insight into the digestive process of a large mammal. They claim the dyes aren't toxic. I would think however that the flesh / Plexiglas junction must be a source of constant irritation. But compassion is not why I've killed six to date. I've killed them because I like to make Mr. Spencer sad. Because of me he's pinned down in Cleaning, and Curation is out of the question. Because of me the see-through cow is a boondoggle and a white elephant and Spencer is a laughingstock.

It feels good to finally be asserting oneself. [84-85]

Saunders, George. "Downtrodden Mary's Failed Campaign of Terror", in CivilWarLand in Bad Decline: Stories and a Novella. Random House, 1996. ISBN: 0679448128.

2 Comments:

At 14/8/06 21:24, Blogger Stefanie said...

That's heavy. Is he always like that?

 
At 15/8/06 09:33, Blogger JohnM said...

No, that passage is not representative, although that particular story is a darker one. Overall I liked this collection less than his later Pastoralia; at a certain point it seemed like I was reading the same story over and over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home