raccolta di citazioni

a commonplace for quotes from my current reading

2006-06-09

Retrieving Sorrow

The dictum was connected with Iowa Bob's theory that we were all on a big ship -- "on a big cruise, across the world." And in spite of the danger of being swept away, at any time, or perhaps because of the danger, we were not allowed to be depressed or unhappy. The way the world worked was not cause for some sort of blanket cynicism or sophomoric despair; according to my father and Iowa Bob, the way the world worked -- which was badly -- was just a strong incentive to live purposefully, and to be determined about living well.

"Happy fatalism," Frank would speak of their philosophy, later; Frank, as a troubled youth, was not a believer.

And one night, when we were watching a wretched melodrama on the TV above the bar in the Hotel New Hampshire, my mother said, "I don't want to see the end of this. I like happy endings."
And Father said, "There are no happy endings."
"Right!" cried Iowa Bob -- an odd mixture of exuberance and stoicism in his cracked voice. "Death is horrible, final, and frequently premature," Coach Bob declared.
"So what?" my father said.
"Right!" cried Iowa Bob. "That's the point: So what?"

Thus the family maxim was that an unhappy ending did not undermine a rich and energetic life. This was based on the belief that there were no happy endings. Mother resisted this, and Frank was morose about it, and Franny and I were probably believers of this religion -- or if, at times, we doubted Iowa Bob, the world would always come up with something that seemed to prove the old lineman right. We never knew what Lilly's religion was (no doubt it was a small idea, kept to herself), and Egg would be the retriever of Sorrow, in more than one sense. Retrieving Sorrow is a kind of religion, too [168].

Irving, John. The Hotel New Hampshire. Pocket Books, 1982. ISBN: 0671440276.

4 Comments:

At 12/6/06 17:36, Blogger Stefanie said...

I am sad because my copy of this book has gone missing. It was the first Irving book I ever read. I have fond memories of it. I must get myself another copy.

 
At 13/6/06 19:38, Blogger SFP said...

I've not read this one. I burned out on Irving a few years back, but this one is one of his best, isn't it? I should find a copy and give it a try.

 
At 14/6/06 00:00, Blogger JohnM said...

Besides HNH I've read Owen Meany and Garp, and while all three were good, I'm feeling a little 'burned out' as well. The repetition of 'oh boy', and 'holy cow', etc. are funny for a while, but it seems like he's writing the same book over and over (e.g., eccentric characters, orphans, sudden accidents and deaths, and so on).

 
At 14/6/06 19:44, Blogger SFP said...

You forgot the bears and the wrestling. :)

I've read Owen Meany and Garp, too, and twice I've read every other chapter in Setting Free the Bears.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home