raccolta di citazioni

a commonplace for quotes from my current reading

2006-05-21

Carl and I

Three nights after I married Carl Peterson, we watched Sarah Bernhardt die of consumption on a bed strewn with camellias. She was very beautiful, her face a sad white mask, her eyes enormous and dark, her voice rising from the the stage and filling the Lyric Theatre, as though as the courtesan Marguerite Gautier she was capable of barely a whisper, dying as she was from the tubercular bacilli breeding in her lungs. Her sins had been cleansed, Marguerite Gautier's, by her suffering and by the goodness of her heart and by the sacrifice she had made, giving up for his own sake the one man she had ever loved. I grasped my Carl's arm on the seat next to me as Marguerite died, for he was the one man I had ever loved and now we were married, on the previous Saturday, December 16, 1905, and the church was filled with red camellias. The newspapers said that Sarah Bernhardt slept in her own coffin, transporting it with her wherever she went, and she had died nearly twenty thousand times in her life, just as she as dying before us, and she took a cloth from her bosom as she lay on her deathbed, and she coughed terribly into it [59].

Butler, Robert Olen. Had a Good Time: Stories from American Postcards. Grove Press, 2004. ISBN: 0802142044.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home