raccolta di citazioni

a commonplace for quotes from my current reading

2006-09-14

Secret Names

"Dorian Gray? Is that his name?" asked Lord Henry, walking across the studio towards Basil Hallward.

"Yes, that is his name. I didn't intend to tell it to you."

"But why not?"

"Oh, I can't explain. When I like people immensely I never tell their names to anyone. It seems like surrendering a part of them. I have grown to love secrecy. It seems to be the one thing that can make modern life mysterious or marvellous to us. The commonest thing is delightful if one only hides it." [143]

Wilde, Oscar. The Picture of Dorian Gray. In Aldington, Richard & Weintraub, Stanley (eds). The Portable Oscar Wilde. Viking, 1981. ISBN: 0140150935.

for Sven, Rik, and Nigel

4 Comments:

At 14/9/06 22:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

huh. i'd no idea there were such cool things to be found in "The Picture of Dorian Gray." intriguing. :)

 
At 14/9/06 23:59, Blogger JohnM said...

Oh, there's *lots* of intrigue to be found here....

 
At 16/9/06 09:01, Blogger Stefanie said...

Oh, Dorian Gray, such a delightfully twisted book!

 
At 16/9/06 09:45, Blogger JohnM said...

I'm finally getting around to it! I remember your comments about it a while back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home