raccolta di citazioni

a commonplace for quotes from my current reading

2006-07-04

What I do is me: for that I came

for Sven

As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame;
As tumbled over rim in roundy wells
Stones ring; like each tucked string tells, each hung bell's
Bow swung finds tongue to fling out broad its name;
Each mortal thing does one thing and the same:
Deals out that being indoors each one dwells;
Selves -- goes itself; myself it speaks and spells,
Crying What I do is me: for that I came.

From Gerard Manley Hopkins' "As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame".

2 Comments:

At 4/7/06 12:59, Blogger JohnM said...

Sarah Eron suggests a comparison with Wordworth's "Nuns fret not at their convent's narrow room".

 
At 5/7/06 09:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) I sound my barbaric yawp!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home