raccolta di citazioni

a commonplace for quotes from my current reading

2006-03-29

The self

"Time is the substance from which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire." --Jorge Luis Borges (p.105)

A self is plural. To think of myself as singular, a choir of neurons living in different hills and hollows of the brain must sing in concert. Word travels fast in the back hills of the mind, through the hippocampus, that campus where memories are schooled, and the hobgoblin amygdala, spoiling for trouble, until a chorus of neurons becomes a thought.

--Diane Ackerman, An Alchemy of Mind: The Marvel and Mystery of the Brain. Scribner, 2005, p 124. ISBN 0743246748.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home